Harper to hold first Explore Engineering event
- Harper College News Bureau
- February 13, 2017
Harper College will celebrate Engineers Week with its first Explore Engineering event for high school students and their parents.
Learn all about Harper’s storied program – which dates back nearly 50 years – and its exceptional faculty, curriculum and transfer partnerships.
The free event takes place 8:45 a.m. to noon Saturday, February 25, in the Wojcik Conference Center on the College’s main campus, 1200 W. Algonquin Road in Palatine.
“Engineering was one of Harper’s first majors, so we enjoy a long history and a very strong program,” said Professor Deborah Damcott, co-chair of the physical sciences department. “This is a great opportunity for prospective students and their families to be introduced to our program, faculty and the students who’ve gone through it.”
- Hear from keynote speaker Dr. Vladimir Goncharoff, engineering lecturer at University of Illinois at Chicago and a Harper College Distinguished Alumni recipient.
- Meet engineering and science faculty, who will present on their research and project successes outside the classroom.
- Engage in panel discussions with current students, alumni, faculty, counselors and parents.
- Learn about several of Harper’s student clubs including the Harper Society of Engineers, Women in Science and Engineering and the Phi Theta Kappa honor society.
Also on hand will be representatives from Harper’s four-year university partners including University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, UIC and Northern Illinois University. Harper’s innovative Engineering Pathways to U of I program offers an opportunity for qualifying students to gain guaranteed admission to the College of Engineering at the UIUC, one of the top engineering programs in the country. The program provides dual advising from both schools and can save students up to $25,000 in tuition per year while studying at Harper.
To learn more and RSVP to Exploring Engineering, visit harpercollege.edu.
Media contact:Kim Pohl, Media Relations Manager, 847.925.6159