Placement Exam Instructions
Step 1: Login to the Exam (French, German, Spanish only)
- Access the WebCAPE Placement Exam
- Enter password: WRHCLangs. Click "Login."
- Choose your testing language from the drop-down menu.
- Select "Begin."
- Enter your first and last name as it appears on Harper records.
- The ID number is your Harper student ID number (this is a 9-digit number that begins with H and ends in a number).
- Enter the email address you check regularly.
- Please fill out all of the information on the registration page about your previous language experience.
- You will be given a practice test question so you can see how the test works. Complete the practice question and begin your exam.
Step 2: Take the Online Exam (French, German, Spanish only)
- The placement exams are “adaptive,” meaning that they adapt automatically to your skill level.
- Answer each question to the best of your ability.
- Don't use dictionaries, translators or outside sources. The purpose of the test is to place you accurately in language classes. If outside sources are used, your placement may be incorrect.
Step 3: Complete a brief Interview (all languages)
- Your score is displayed on the screen at the end of the exam. Record it for your reference.
- No other preparation is necessary for the oral interview.
- Spanish and French: Contact Prof. Linda Schumacher at email@example.com to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- German: Contact Prof. Kim Jaeger at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- Chinese: Contact Prof. Na Li at email@example.com to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- Japanese: Contact Prof. Setsuko Hanaoka at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- American Sign Language: See our ASL Placement website for information.
- You will be given a placement recommendation by the professor at the end of your interview.
Step 4: Register for Class
- After your oral interview, the Placement and Testing Coordinator will enter an override into the registration system. Please allow 1-2 business days for this to be updated.
- Log in to the MyHarper Student Portal
- Select "My Registration" tab and register for your recommended course.
- Questions? Please contact Eric Bohman, Placement and Testing Coordinator, with any questions or concerns: email@example.com or 847.925.6750.