Placement Testing for World Languages
What is a placement exam?
It is a free tool to determine which French, German or Spanish course level suits you best. The exam is for placement purposes only and will not appear on your transcript.
Do I need to take a placement exam?
I want to study French, German or Spanish…
- If you wish to study French, German or Spanish, and you do not have experience with that language, no, you do not need to test. You should register for a 101 level course.
- If you are a current Harper student with experience in French, German or Spanish and wish to enroll in a course in that language for the first time, yes, you need to take the placement exam. See the Placement Instructions.
I want to study Chinese or Japanese…
- Chinese: Contact Prof. Na Li at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- Japanese: Contact Prof. Setsuko Hanaoka at email@example.com to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
I want to study American Sign Language...
- See our ASL Placement website for information.
I speak the language at home…
- For students who have grown up in the United States but speak a language other than English at home, you may be eligible to take language courses in your language at Harper. Please contact the department chair, Kimberly Jaeger, at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your language background.
- For students who grew up outside the United States and consider English a second language, you may not take classes at Harper in your native language. To complete any language requirements, please register for courses in a language other than your native language.
When and where do I take the exam?
Take the first part of the exam online at your convenience using any computer with internet access. Do a brief in-person or phone interview with a professor afterward. Follow the Placement Instructions.
How do I prepare for the exam?
There is no preparation necessary. Follow the Placement Instructions.
Please contact Eric Bohman, Placement and Testing Coordinator, with any questions or concerns: email@example.com or 847.925.6750.