Accounting Program at Harper College
Prepare for employment as an accounting assistant/bookkeeper in business, industry or government. Harper advantages include:
- Day, evening and online courses.
- The AAS degree and all accounting certificates can be earned completely online.
- All Harper CPA Preparation Certificate courses meet the Illinois Board of Examiners CPA exam requirements.
- The Accounting Department faculty are academically respected and professionally qualified.
- Join students with similar interests at our monthly Accounting Club.
Choose the Degree or Certificate That Meets Your Goal
Harper College certificates provide skills for the entry-level assistant/bookkeeper as well as certificates and a degree to promote advancement in the accounting field.
The AAS degree can be earned on campus OR online.
Prepare to transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a bachelor's degree:
Check out transfer school options:
Based on previous college credit earned you may qualify for an accounting certificate. See an academic advisor to be sure all your courses have been transferred to Harper.
Begin or Grow Your Career
- Start Here Go Places - A page for students from the AICPA.
- The American Institute of CPAs - Information on the CPA Exam, pending legislation, reference materials available, etc.
- American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers - The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers is the bookkeeping profession's national association.
- Illinois CPA Society student page - Information on becoming an accountant, job market, and other good info for students.
- IMA - The association for accountants and financial professionals in business.
- The Illinois Society of CPA's - Information on the CPA Exam, upcoming events, student related activities, etc.
- The Board of Examiners for the Illinois CPA exam
- The Internal Revenue Service - Current information on taxes, tax forms, etc.
- National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers - NACPB is dedicated exclusively to the needs of bookkeepers providing bookkeeping services to the public.
- National Association of Certified QuickBooks Advisors - NACQA is dedicated exclusively to the needs of bookkeepers, accountants, and consultants providing QuickBooks® advisory services to QuickBooks users.
- National Association of Tax Practitioners- Information on the IRS Enrolled Agents Exam, Exam preparation workshops, tax update seminars, reference materials, etc.
A stackable career path is a clearly designed sequence of career-related classes. Students complete the classes to earn a certificate. Certificates can be accumulated over time to build on an individual’s qualifications and help them advance in their career. See Harper College Accounting Career Path.
Harper is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, a leading specialized accreditation association for associate, bachelor's and graduate business education.