Intermediate RiderCourse (IRC)
The IRC is designed for riders with previous experience who are returning to motorcycling or who have ridden for some time without a license. They may be returning riders who already passed the BRC but don't have their own motorcycle or would like additional training and practice before riding on the street, or experienced dirt bike riders who want to start riding on the street.
This course offers an overview of the fundamentals of safe, responsible motorcycling and provides riders the opportunity to renew skills and acquire important knowledge for safe street operation. The IRC provides a training experience for riders who already have basic operational skills including motorcycle controls operation, straight-line riding, upshifting, downshifting, turning, braking and stopping.
The IRC consists of 10 hours of instruction (motorcycles and helmets provided), classroom work and a written evaluation.
Intermediate RiderCourse Eligibility
- Illinois residents who are at least 18 years of age (on the first day of their course) are eligible to enroll in the IRC if they have a valid driver's license or instruction permit and have previous experience operating a motorcycle.
- Prerequisites: All IRC students are expected to possess reasonable proficiencies in basic motorcycle control operation, straight-line riding, upshifting, downshifting, turning, braking, and stopping prior to enrolling in the IRC. Those unable to demonstrate these minimum expectations during the first riding sessions will not be allowed to continue in the IRC course, nor will they be given preferential enrollment into a basic course.
Protective Clothing Requirements: What You Need to Bring
Participants should bring protective clothing. The following items are required without exception:
- sturdy, over-the-ankle footwear (not cloth or canvas, boots suggested),
- long pants,
- long sleeve shirt or jacket
- gloves that cover entire hands
- protective eyewear (any type of glasses that can be worn while operating a motorcycle/driving)
Helmets and motorcycles will be provided. Students are welcome to bring their own DOT-approved 3/4 or full-face helmets.
An IRC completion card will be mailed to all students who successfully complete the IRC. The IRC completion card will enable the Secretary of State motorcycle written and driving tests to be waived for those 18 years of age and older.