First time using Veterans benefits at Harper
Use this checklist if this is the first time you are using Veterans benefits at Harper College. Please submit all requested documents to the One Stop, Room A250, email@example.com or fax to 847.925.6928. Print this checklist .PDF.
Apply for Admissions (Fee Waiver Application is Available through Admissions Outreach)
- An application fee waiver fee is available through Admissions.
Submit DD214* (Service 2 or Member-4 copy)
- Complete only if your federal benefits application is in process.
Application for VA Education Benefits
- Complete the Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990) online application for FEDERAL benefits.
° If you are a dependent, follow the prompts to apply on eBenefits.
- Applications for state benefits (Illinois Veterans Grant, Illinois National Guard Grant and MIA POW Scholarship) are available at isac.org.
Explore your Eligibility for Additional Financial Assistance (optional)
- Review and apply online for Harper College Scholarships.
- Complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov. Use Harper College's School Code 003961.
Provide Copies of All Certificates of Eligibility for any Benefit(s)
- If you are using the Illinois National Guard Grant, you are required to reapply for the benefit and we require a new Certificate of Eligibility every academic year.
Submit your Transcripts to the Office of the Registrar
- See Credit for Military Service page.
Meet with an Academic Advisor and Submit an Academic Plan
Register for Classes
- Submit the online Veterans Enrollment Certificate (VEC) form.
- VECs must be submitted after registration each semester you intend to utilize benefits.
- Students that utilize tuition-specific benefits will NOT need to arrange payment methods at time of registration, however, there may still
be an outstanding balance for which the student is financially responsible. Those
utilizing Veterans benefits not listed below will be responsible for committing to a payment method at time of registration:
- Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
- Illinois Veterans Grant
- Illinois National Guard Grant
- MIA/POW Scholarship
- Military Tuition Assistance
* If we use your DD214 in place of a certificate of eligibility and you are deemed not eligible for educational benefits by the Department of Veterans Affairs, you will be financially responsible for any balance accrued with the college. This may also include out-of-district fees that were originally waived due to the benefit you claimed.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information
about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government
Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.