General Information for Veterans

Harper Specific Information

Veterans must request to be certified each and every semester via the online Veterans Enrollment Certificate. Nothing is automatic. When signing the request form, the Veteran is agreeing to notify the Veterans advisor of any changes to his/her schedule.

Once the veteran's certification is sent to VA, a confirmation will be sent to the email address reported on the request form. Please make sure your email address as reported on the form is correct. If you are using the Chapter 31 GI Bill you will be notified by our office when you can purchase your books via email.

Beginning summer 2015, all students are required to make payment arrangements at the time of registration. Students that utilize Veterans benefits that are applied directly to Harper (see below) will NOT need to arrange payment methods at time of registration, however, if there is a remaining balance after your benefits have posted you will be responsible for covering those expenses. Those utilizing any Veterans benefits not listed below will be responsible for committing to a payment method at time of registration.

  • Tuition benefits sent directly to Harper:
    • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
    • Chapter 31 Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation
    • Illinois Veterans Grant
    • Illinois National Guard Grant
    • MIAPOW Scholarship
    • Military Tuition Assistance

If you withdraw from or stop attending a class an adjustment will be filed with the V.A. and you may owe money back to the V.A.

Veterans must make Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to continue to receive GI Benefits.  Satisfactory Academic Progress is defined as maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, and completing at least 67% of all credit hours attempted. If you fail to meet these standards a hold will be placed on your account and you will have to file an appeal to get your benefits reinstated.  The SAP policy and the online appeal form is located on the Financial Aid portion of Harper's homepage.

VA Specific Information

Veterans may take any class they desire, however the VA will only pay for classes with the official degree program as listed in the Student Handbook.

Developmental courses taken at Harper that are offered in an online and/or blended format CANNOT be certified to VA for enrollment purposes. If you are taking a developmental course and wish to have it certified, please be sure that it is only offered on campus and not in an online or blended format.

Per the Department of Veterans Affairs regulations, "Remedial and deficiency courses offered as independent study (online) cannot be approved and cannot be certified to VA" (VA School Certifying Handbook .PDF, pages 47 and 48).

All chapter 30, 1607 and 1606 veterans must verify their attendance monthly, on or after the last day of each month. They may do this by phone: 1-877-823-2378 or through W.A.V.E. (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) at 

It can take the VA processing center in St. Louis up to 30 days to process the current certification information.

If 60 days elapse and the student is not paid, the student should call the VA in St. Louis at:
 1-888-GI BILL 1, then call the Harper College advisor if the VA is asking for additional information. Most of the time the problem can be solved by the student.

If the student changes the college major or changes schools, he/she must complete a Change of Place or Training form 22-1995 for veterans and 22-5495 for dependents of veteran's forms are available online at