NLN Entrance Exam
The NLN exam is used for entrance in the Nursing (RN), Practical Nursing Certificate, Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, and Radiologic Technology programs.. It is the student's responsibility to adhere to the NLN practices which may change from year to year. It is suggested that students first attend a program information session before registering for the test.
Seating is limited; students are urged to reserve test dates as quickly as possible after attending the information meeting. Reservations are made for Harper students only in Building A, Room 148.
Effective July 1, 2012
NLN Registration and Payment Information
- The cost of the exam is $60 and is non-refundable.
- Payment is due at the time of registration. Credit cards and checks are accepted.
- Registration deadlines are strictly enforced.
- Signing up for a test after an exam registration deadline has passed is prohibited.
- Changing an exam date – prior to an exam’s registration deadline - will result in the charge of a $20.00 change fee. No refunds will be given.
- Changing an exam date - once the exam’s registration deadline has passed - will result in the loss of the entire exam fee. No refunds will be given.
- Cancellations – at any time - will result in the loss of the exam fee. No refunds will be given.
The NLN exam contains three sections: verbal ability, mathematics and science. The verbal ability section will assess word knowledge, reading comprehension, and critical thinking. The math section will assess mathematical problem solving including integers, conversions, fractions, decimals, algebra and geometry. The science section will assess knowledge in general biology, human anatomy and physiology, chemistry and physics. The testing session lasts approximately 4 hours and each section of the test is timed.
Test Prep Materials
NLN Pre-Entrance Exam Preparation
Harper offers Continuing Education courses to help you prepare for the NLN (National League of Nursing) entrance exam). Learn more about the refresher course offered by Continuing Education.