NLN Entrance Exam
The NLN Entrance Exam is available for Harper College students only. The NLN exam is used for entrance in the Nursing (RN), Practical Nursing Certificate, Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, and Radiologic Technology programs. It is the student's responsibility to adhere to the NLN practices which may change from year to year. It is suggested that students first attend a Health Career Program Information Session before registering for the test.
The NLN exam is a computer-based exam that contains three sections: verbal ability, mathematics and science. The testing session lasts approximately two hours. Each section of the test is timed.
- The verbal ability section assesses word knowledge, reading comprehension, and critical thinking.
- The math section measures mathematical problem solving which will include integers, conversions, fractions, decimals, algebra and geometry.
- The science section tests knowledge in general biology, human anatomy and physiology, chemistry and physics.
NLN Pre-Entrance Exam Preparation Course
Harper offers Continuing Education courses to help you prepare for the NLN (National League of Nursing) entrance exam).
Upcoming course information:
Course: NLN Pre-Entrance Exam Preparation (LAH0242-001)
- CRN: 20002
- Course Schedule: August 29, 2017 - September 19, 2017, Tuesday/Thursday, 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
- Room: Building W (Wojcik), room 218
- Course: NLN Pre-Entrance Exam Preparation (LAH0242-002)
- CRN: 20003
- Course Schedule: October 10, 2017 - October 31, 2017, Tuesday/Thursday, 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
- Room: Building W (Wojcik), room 218
Test Prep Materials
- Review Guide for RN Pre-Entrance Exam, 3rd Edition 2009, author: NLN. This book is available for checkout from the Harper Library or purchase at the Harper Bookstore.
- McGraw-Hill's NLN Pax-RN Prep application available on iTunes.
The NLN exam is administered in the Testing Center, Building A, Room A148.
The NLN exam is offered on the dates listed below, subject to space availability. Those interested in reserving a seat in one of the following test sessions must register and pay online prior to the exam date.
|Wednesday, August 23, 2017||10:00 a.m.|
|Thursday, August 31, 2017||12:30 p.m.|
|Friday, September 1, 2017||12:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday, September 5, 2017||10:00 a.m.|
|Thursday, September 7, 2017||12:30 p.m.|
|Monday, September 11, 2017||12:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday, September 13, 2017||10:00 a.m.|
|Thursday, September 14, 2017||12:30 p.m.|
|Friday, September 15, 2017||10:00 a.m.|
|Monday, September 18, 2017||10:00 a.m.|
|Tuesday, September 19, 2017||12:30 p.m.|
|Monday, September 25, 2017||12:30 p.m.|
Exam registration and payment occurs directly on the NLN website.
In order to register, you will need to create an NLN account that will be used to register for the exam, take the exam, and eventually view your scores. It's very important that you remember your NLN login credentials.
Registration closes 48 hours prior to the exam date. Please review registration instructions .PDF
The total cost of the exam is $62.
- At registration, you will pay a non-refundable fee of $39.
- On exam day you will pay an additional $23 at the Harper College Testing Center.
On the day of the exam you are required to:
- arrive 15 minutes early
- bring your Harper College photo ID
- know your NLN Exam account username and password information
- be ready to pay the $23 fee (credit card or check preferred). All exam fees are non-refundable.
If you need to reschedule your exam, you must do so at least 5 days prior to closing date of the registration. To reschedule your exam, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Effective July 1, 2017 rescheduling 2 weeks or more in advance will result in a $25 rescheduling fee. Rescheduling an exam less than 2 weeks before the scheduled exam date will result in a $39 rescheduling fee.