Health and Wellness
Wellness lives here.
Become more informed about food choices with MyPlate. It illustrates the five food groups that are the building blocks for a healthy diet using a familiar image-a place setting for a meal. Before you eat, think about what goes on your plate or in your cup or bowl.
Get active at home and participate in the Healthy Challenge Scavenger Hunt! Grab a friend or family member and hunt for specific items around the house. Make it a race and see who can finish the list the fastest.
- The Harper Fitness Center is available to all students, faculty and community members.
- Find out your Body Mass Index with the Adult BMI Calculator.
- Track your workouts with FitnessPal
Your source for reliable health information:
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Health
- Go Ask Alice!: Columbia University's Internet Health Q&A Resource
It may seem obvious that sleep is beneficial. Even without fully grasping what sleep does for us, we know that going without sleep for too long makes us feel terrible, and that getting a good night's sleep can make us feel ready to take on the world. Scientists have gone to great lengths to fully understand sleep's benefits. In studies of humans and other animals, they have discovered that sleep plays a critical role in vital functions. Take an active step in ensuring a good night's sleep every night!
- Why Sleep Matters
- Sleep Hygiene Tips from the CDC
- Mayo Clinic Sleep Tips
- Debunking Sleep Myths
- More Myths and Facts About Sleep
- Know yourself. Know your status. Learn more at itsyoursexlife.com/gyt
- STD Testing FAQs
- Care. No Matter What. PlannedParenthood.com
Stress is a normal psychological and physical reaction to the ever increasing demands of life. Without stress management, all too often your body is always on high alert. Don't wait until stress has a negative impact on your health. Start practicing a range of stress management techniques today.
- How to: Reduce, prevent and cope with stress
- Learn more about Stress Management
- Essential Skills for an Excellent Career: Mind Tools
- Powerpoint: Three Coping Strategies and Lifehabits to Relieve Stress Among College Students
- Video on Managing Stress
- Ways That College Students Can Reduce Stress
- Stress Facts and Info on Stress Relief
- Laugh Your Way to Better Days: Using Play and Humor to De-Stress
Experience a relaxing and therapeutic massage at a great price! Visit the Massage Therapy Clinic to learn more and make an appointment.
New Mindfulness Sitting
Take a breather during the day and re-set yourself. In this 30 minute quiet sitting, participants will use simple breath awareness exercise to help relax and soothe the mind. No experience is necessary, and brief instructions will be provided.
Harper Mindfulness and Stress Reduction for students, faculty and staff. Thursdays beginning 9/24 from 3:00-3:30 p.m. in F-341.
For more information, contact Pearl Ratunil at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-925-6000 ext 2390.