Change of Status
Students who are currently in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa and want to study full-time
can apply to Harper College for a Form I-20. For additional information, please read
the international student application requirements at this link on our website.
The student must then request a "change of status" to F-1 from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by submitting the following documents:
- USCIS Form I-539 with $370.00 processing fee. The Form I-539 should be downloaded from the USCIS web site
- Copies of bank verification
- Copy of the identification page of the passport
- A letter explaining that the visa which the student initially entered on was appropriate at that time and why new status is needed.
- Printed version of current Form I-94 electronic record, www.cpb.gov/i94
- Original Form I-20, signed and dated
- Proof of SEVIS i901 fee payment (See below)
A SEVIS fee payment is required. Before a student can apply for an F-1 visa or a change of status, he/she must make arrangements to pay the $200 SEVIS fee. For current information, instructions, and fee payment procedures, visit the website: www.fmjfee.com.
USCIS officers strictly review each request for a change of non-immigrant status. There is no guarantee that the request will be approved. You may discuss your situation with the International Student Coordinator and/or you may seek legal advice from an attorney who understands F1 student status. You must allow three to five months for approval of a change of status request.
The change of status request forms are sent to:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 660166
Dallas, TX 75266