Mission and Values
Tell us what you think of the latest draft of Harper College’s new mission statement
Over the last year Harper College has undertaken a comprehensive review of our mission statement so that it will provide clear direction for our strategic planning process. Input has been garnered from stakeholder groups, both internal and external to the College. The draft statement below represents a summation of the main themes that have emerged and we invite you to provide your feedback.
Draft Mission Statement
“Harper College enriches its diverse communities by providing quality, affordable, and accessible education. In collaboration with partners, Harper College inspires transformation of individual lives, the workforce, and society.”
The input of our community is essential to this process, and we thank you for your participation in this important work. Please click here to take the survey.
Harper College is a comprehensive community college dedicated to providing excellent education at an affordable cost, promoting personal growth, enriching the local community and meeting the challenges of a global society. The specific purposes of the College are:
- To provide the first two years of baccalaureate education in the liberal and fine arts, the natural and social sciences and pre-professional curricula designed to prepare students to transfer to four-year colleges and universities;
- To provide educational opportunities that enable students to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to enter a specific career;
- To provide continuing educational opportunities for professional job training, retraining and upgrading of skills and for personal enrichment and wellness;
- To provide developmental instruction for under-prepared students and educational opportunities for those who wish to improve their academic abilities and skills;
- To provide co-curricular opportunities that enhance the learning environment and develop the whole person. Essential to achieving these purposes are all of the College's resources, support programs and services.
Result: An environment where relationships and practices are based on trust. Key Action: Be responsible and accountable for your own actions.
Result: Interactions which add dignity to ourselves, our relationships with others and our organization. Key Action: Value and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals.
Result: Student, employee and organizational success through a creative and responsive work environment by exceeding the needs and expectations of all. Key Action: Effectively anticipate, identify and respond to learner, employee and organizational needs.
Result: Accomplishment of better results by working together than otherwise likely to occur by working alone. Key Action: Address issues as they arise and take necessary actions to productively resolve them.