Mission and Values
Harper College is a comprehensive community college dedicated to providing excellent education at an affordable cost, promoting personal growth, enriching the local community and meeting the challenges of a global society. The specific purposes of the College are:
- To provide the first two years of baccalaureate education in the liberal and fine arts, the natural and social sciences and pre-professional curricula designed to prepare students to transfer to four-year colleges and universities;
- To provide educational opportunities that enable students to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to enter a specific career;
- To provide continuing educational opportunities for professional job training, retraining and upgrading of skills and for personal enrichment and wellness;
- To provide developmental instruction for under-prepared students and educational opportunities for those who wish to improve their academic abilities and skills;
- To provide co-curricular opportunities that enhance the learning environment and develop the whole person. Essential to achieving these purposes are all of the College's resources, support programs and services.
Result: An environment where relationships and practices are based on trust. Key Action: Be responsible and accountable for your own actions.
Result: Interactions which add dignity to ourselves, our relationships with others and our organization. Key Action: Value and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals.
Result: Student, employee and organizational success through a creative and responsive work environment by exceeding the needs and expectations of all. Key Action: Effectively anticipate, identify and respond to learner, employee and organizational needs.
Result: Accomplishment of better results by working together than otherwise likely to occur by working alone. Key Action: Address issues as they arise and take necessary actions to productively resolve them.