Thank you for your service. Now, let us serve you.
New Veterans Student Checklist
1. Go to VONAPP.
- If you have never applied for benefits, click on the option “I Am a New VONAPP User” and follow the instructions.
- If you have previously been approved but are changing schools then complete a DD-22-1995 Change of Place of Training form to notify the VA of your change.
- Contact the Veterans Representative at 847-925-6000 extension 6821 to inquire about state-level veteran benefits.
- Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility for all benefits you will be using at Harper College.
- Submit the Veterans Enrollment Certificate (VEC).
- The VEC must be completed each semester by all veterans. A new VEC must also be completed if you make any changes during the semester. This is your official request for us to process your benefits and it also notifies us that you have registered for classes or have made any changes to your registration.
- Wait for a confirmation email from the Harper College Veterans representative.
All students must set up e-Cashier or they will be dropped from their classes and assessed a $15 drop fee. If you have a benefit that pays funds directly to Harper College you will be eligible for a "deferment". The deferment ensures you are not charged a down payment and provides time for your benefits to process. The deferment option will not be available until the VEC has been processed and you have received a confirmation email.
Optional But Recommended
We suggest the following steps if you are searching for financial assistance beyond your VA Benefits.
- Explore your eligibility for financial aid funds.
If you want to be considered for federal and state financial assistance, you will be required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Remember to list Harper College's School Code 003961 as your college.
- Submit your transcripts.
Send your transcripts to Harper College and you may receive credit for your military experience and previous college courses.