Veterans Services

Banner Image: Serving our veterans and their dependents.

Thank you for your service. Now, let us serve you.

New Veterans Student Checklist

1. Go to VONAPP.

    • If you have never applied for benefits, click on the option “I Am a New VONAPP User” and follow the instructions.
    • If you have previously been approved but are changing schools then complete a VA Form 22-1995 Change of Place of Training to notify the VA of your change.

2. Apply to Harper College.

  • Contact the Veterans Representative at 847.925.6821 to inquire about state-level veteran benefits.
  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility for all benefits you will be using at Harper College.

3. Submit a copy of your Academic Plan to the Veterans Representative when you are a new student. This can be obtained during New Student Orientation or during your meeting with a counselor from the Academic Advising and Counseling Center.

4. Register for classes.

  • Submit the Veterans Enrollment Certificate (VEC).
  • The VEC must be completed each semester by all veterans. A new VEC must also be completed if you make any changes during the semester. This is your official request for us to process your benefits and it also notifies us that you have registered for classes or have made any changes to your registration.
  • Wait for a confirmation email from the Harper College Veterans representative.

5. Set up your e-Cashier Payment Plan.

All students must set up e-Cashier or they will be dropped from their classes and assessed a $15 drop fee. If you have a benefit that pays funds directly to Harper College you will be eligible for a "deferment".  The deferment ensures you are not charged a down payment and provides time for your benefits to process. The deferment option will not be available until the VEC has been processed and you have received a confirmation email.

Optional But Recommended

We suggest the following steps if you are searching for financial assistance beyond your VA Benefits.

  1. Explore your eligibility for financial aid funds.
    If you want to be considered for federal and state financial assistance, you will be required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  Remember to list Harper College's School Code 003961 as your college.

  2. Submit your transcripts.
    Send your transcripts to Harper College and you may receive credit for your military experience and previous college courses.


Public Act 96-0133 Survey PDF